What should the home directory for machines be?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jan 20 21:44:45 GMT 2004

I recently fixed the bug (reversed the design decision) that caused
winbindd to skip all machine accounts, when listing users.  This is
because machines use kerberos to establish CIFS connections.

The only issue I wanted to check with the list, before we throw 3.0.2
out the door is this:

What should the home directory be?
Should it be (assuming a template of /home/%D/%U):

 /home/dom/machine$

Or can/should we live with the current implementation of

 /home/dom/machine_

The problem is, our current string_sub code always replaces a $ with a
_, for security.  I would argue that this is a wise choice, as having $
in on-disk filenames is going to bite somebody one day, but I wanted to
get the list's opinion.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net