smb.conf parameters: sendfile, unicode

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jan 20 10:07:08 GMT 2004

I just wanted to quickly check with the list on a couple of matters:

'use sendfile = yes' is still not the default.  It talked to jra at
linux.conf.au, and he was of the mind that it should be on by default.
Can I change it, and should that occur before this impending release?

'unicode' is still an option in the smb.conf.  People are setting this,
particularly to 'no'  (some people have an irrational fear of
unicode).   I propose that we remove this option - I have only seen it
cause pain, particularly with my nice login BSOD I spent time tracking
down earlier this month.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net