RAP bug: Not truncating names to 12 characters.

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Sat Jan 17 06:36:56 GMT 2004

> I wasn't saying that bug 767 was this RAP bug -- I was saying that the first
> part of the bug ab mentioned (smbclient not displaying the names >12 chars)
> is covered in that bug report.

Nope again :-) If by "ab" you mean Alexader B? he wrote:

"Same with smbclient. It does display them but can't access. It also has
bug in that displayed share name is cropped:
d_printf("\t%-15.15s%-10.10s%s\n", name, typestr, comment);"

This describes two bugs neither of which relate to 767. The first is the "display
tuncated share names but can't access" bug in Samba's implementation of the
NetrShareEnum RAP that Chris reported. The second appears to be some kind of
printf debug output truncation that is pretty much harmless. These are really
totally independent problems.

Bug 767 refers to a limitation in Windows 95/98/ME. Because those systems do not
implement the NetrShareEnum RPC they can only report shares supported by the
NetShareEnum RAP call. The RAP call can only report shares with 12 ASCII
characters or less. Unicode or longer are not returned at all. Bug 767 is
basically a "complaint" that smbclient doesn't implement the NetrShareEnum RPC. It
only does the NetShareEnum RAP.

Mike

--
A program should be written to  model the concepts of the task it
maximizes the  potential for it  to be applied  to tasks that are