Commercial license for windows authentication portion of Samba

David Cheney dcheney at sygate.com
Fri Jan 16 20:32:10 GMT 2004

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 06:07:34PM -0800, David Cheney wrote:
> > I think there's a slight misunderstanding here:
> >
> > I don't think we intend for anyone on the samba team to
> sign on to a
> > non-GPL compatible project. Ours is a proprietary product,
> but samba
> > is being included on its own, and what I believe we are
> offering is to
> > compensate someone for adding functionality to samba that would
> > benefit our product and help us meet our timeline. (per mark)
>
> Doh ! Sorry - didn't realise what you were asking for
> here :-(. Ok, what functionality are you missing ?
>
> Jeremy.

To be precise:

What we need is RPC registry key/value queries against Windows XP.

Lack of authentication against Windows XP machines is our current
problem,
 as we have been using samba-tng's client library to do these queries
and
 samba-tng does not support XP (encrypted passwords?).

Jelmer's libregistry project seems like the best way to go in this
regard,
 and I have offered to help with his RPC backend, but I have a lot of
other
 stuff on my plate, and the prevailing attitude at the moment is that it

 would be better/faster to fund someone who knows what they're doing.

--dgc