Inconsistencies/bug with SMB signatures during smbclient taroperation

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Fri Jan 16 08:54:56 GMT 2004

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 04:38:16PM -0600, Fran Fabrizio wrote:
<snip>
>>   Server packet had invalid SMB signature! opening remote file
>> \home\faculty\bryant\bryantback-brblt\Images\a2family2\100msdcf\D
>> (\home\faculty\bryant\bryantback-brblt\Images\a2family2\100msdcf\)
>> [snip]
>
> I'd be interested in seeing a debug level 10 from the client doing
> this. It would be good to know if it's a mismatched sequence number
> or some other issue. How far into the tar does this fail ?

Mmm, I just noticed jCIFS has a problem verifying signatures as well. Since the
NetBIOS layer is abstracted we don't have direct access to the NetBIOS header. We
use the decoding routine return value as the length of the message. In one case I
didn't decode a field in a message so the message length was short. When updating
the message digest it wasn't factoring in the right number of bytes. And of course
if the number of bytes in a message or the sequence counter is off...."invalid SMB
signature".

Of course the smbclient problem could be any number of things. Indeed the fact
that it gets so far along before a verification fails leads me to believe it could
be another problem like maybe some value is rolling over improperly, some timed
event is occuring or something inadvertantly happening in parallel is influencing
the sequence counter or buffers used to update the digest.

Mike

--
A program should be written to  model the concepts of the task it
maximizes the  potential for it  to be applied  to tasks that are