Data types in samba4

Green, Paul Paul.Green at stratus.com
Thu Jan 15 18:14:10 GMT 2004

I basically think it is sensible to define your own set of types. However,
it will certainly entail a large change in mindset.

I'd urge some careful consideration on the names that are chosen.  It would
be nice to make them obvious and extensible w/o colliding with potential
identifiers.

As far as I can see, reading the C-99 and POSIX-01 standards, uint_t is not
a standard type.  uintN_t, where N is an unsigned decimal integer, is
defined in C-99 (See paragraph 7.18).  The standard says such types are
optional.  (7.18.1.1).

The POSIX standard reserves all identifiers ending in "_t".  We should not
define any Samba-specific identifiers that use this suffix.

Since some of us are still on C-89 and POSIX-96, any attempt to use types in
more recent standards would need to have the usual conditional logic in
configure.  (And given the wide variation of implementations, such logic
would be a very good thing anyway).

Thanks
PG
--
Paul Green, Senior Technical Consultant, Stratus Technologies.
Voice: +1 978-461-7557; FAX: +1 978-461-3610; Video on request.