Data types in samba4

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Thu Jan 15 10:53:29 GMT 2004

Hi tridge,

while reading through some samba4 code, I noticed
that we use 'unsigned', 'unsigned int' and 'uint_t'.
isn't it all the same?

I think it would be a good idea to use only one off this in all places,
because this will make us much more independent of system headers.
so we only need to check if this choosen type is defined, otherwise
we'll just typedef this *one* type!

we should write a list to the progguide.txt containing all types
we're needing in samba and that only this types should be used inside
of samba.

I would preferr:
int
int8
int16
int32
int64
uint_t
uint8
uint16
uint32
uint64

or something like this.
and not

short, long,...

I'm not sure about the large_t, uint64 or int64 would be better, but we
can't expect 64-Bit vars on all platforms:-(

Comments?
--
metze

Stefan Metzmacher <metze at samba.org> www.samba.org