Nested groups support?

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Wed Jan 14 13:53:37 GMT 2004

> Hi!
>
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 01:38:34PM +0100, Arthur van Dongen wrote:
>> My first impression is that winbind could replace the groups in a group
>> with the members of this group. So, if User1 is in Group1, and Group1 is
>> member of Group2, winbind places User1 as a member of both Group1 and
>> Group2. This does not conflict with the Unix user/group architecture.
>
> I already thought about such a thing. You only run into the Unix 16- or
> 32-groups per user limit far too soon.

Yep, this is a real problem

But I think linux 2.6 hasn't this limitation anymore
(I'm not completely sure but I read something like that anywhere...)

I've tried this on SuSE9.0 with a linux 2.6 test kernel
but a user still only has 32 groups attached :-(
I'm not sure but maybe it's only glibc which is limiting this. to that the
setgroups() function only registers 32 guid to the kernel.

Volker, is this the right?

--
metze

Stefan Metzmacher <metze at samba dot org>