extending nss and examples/nss a bit

Luke Howard lukeh at PADL.COM
Wed Jan 14 07:16:14 GMT 2004

Also, rather than adding Windows security-specific API it would be nice
to see (and perhaps more likely to be accepted) an API for mapping
arbitrary identities given the constraints of POSIX, e.g.:

/* map a qualified internal security identity to a mapped identity */
/* eg map an NT SID to a POSIX UID/GID */
enum nss_status _nss_XXX_map_qisid(qualified_isid_t *qisid,
				   mapped_isid_type_t type,
				   mapped_isid_t *misid);

/* un-map a mapped internal security identity to a qualified one */
/* eg map a POSIX UID/GID to an NT SID */
enum nss_status _nss_XXX_map_misid(mapped_isid_t *misid,
				   qualified_isid_type_t type,
				   qualified_isid_t *qisid);

cf: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-williams-nfsv4-ace-mapping-01.txt.

Note the use of the term "sid" above is not identical to Windows SIDs,
so read the above document first :-)

I am in favour of a well thought out mapping API that can eventually be
exposed by the C library, even if initially implemented only by some
specific modules whose consumers are the applications themselves (rather
than NSS). APIs are hard to change, and an identity mapping API that
does not directly expose Windows security primitives has a chance of
being accepted not just by glibc, but also by other UNIX vendors.
It also ties in with others' NFSv4 efforts.

But maybe this jet lag is just making me idealistic :-)

cheers,

-- Luke