Samba 3.0.1 Domain Member Authentication Problem

ODC odc-public at hotpop.com
Tue Jan 13 20:37:52 GMT 2004

ODC wrote:

> Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
>
>> Should already be fixed in 3.0.2pre1
>

> Hi Jerry,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I just clean compiled 3.0.2pre1 from the us3.samba.org mirror and no
> luck.  Its still occurring while the hostname.domain.name.com works.
>
> With the dialog box, when I put in WINDOWSDOMAIN\username and the
> password, it authenticates properly, however when I just use username,
> it fails and returns a SMB-SERVERNAME\username in the username field.
>
> Hope that is not too confusing.
>
> Any other ideas ? I am going to backport back to 3.0.0 and try to get
> that working again.

Another note, what is very worrisome to me is that while nothing
configuration wise (smb.conf, krb5.conf) has changed -- 3.0.0 is now
exhibiting the same symptoms that 3.0.1 and 3.0.2pre1 has.

This really does not make much sense, as when I changed back to 3.0.0 I
tried to start as cleanly as I could, unjoined from the domain, cleaned
out the /tmp directories, etc.

So if you're watching the list, and your thinking of upgrading to 3.0.1
for your domain member servers, I'd just hold off for now : p (Serves me
right for being an early adopter !).