extending nss and examples/nss a bit

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Tue Jan 13 16:07:23 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 16:43, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> My only concern is placing it in libnss_winbind.so and
> having applications dlopen("/lib/libnss_winbindd.so.2").
> In fact, I mistook the original proposal to be extending
> the NSS interface in glibc.  I think we could avoid further
> confusion about this by simply build an equivalent library
> that would be solely used for user space applications needing
> to get information from winbindd that cannot be access via
> NSS (e.g. converting a uid to a SID and vice-versa).

Why should an application dlopen it?
If we build libwbclient.so will will probably end up making
libnss_winbindd.so use it, so where is the difference?
Or do you think we should explicitly make them separate.

> So my proposal would be to build new library named
> libwbclient.so and header wbclient.h

In any case I would prefer this option, as putting extensions on a
system lib is not very nice imho.

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l. - http://www.xsec.it
via Garofalo, 39 - 20133 - Milano
mobile: +39 329 328 7702
tel. +39 02 2953 4143 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399