Doc build update

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at vernstok.nl
Wed Jan 7 01:10:11 GMT 2004

Hi,

The documentation build system is currently undergoing some changes,
which have caused problems with the doc generation over the past few days.

During the past few days I have been working on:
 * merging the build system for the book with the build system for the
public howto
 * adding multi-language support(there is currently a project to
translate the documentation to french, and one to translate it to
german). This will
    make it easier for them to track updates in the english version, etc.
 * completely complying with the Docbook/XML standard. The
samba-specific elements should have a prefix
 * random fixes for better stability

I am doing my best to get all this (except for the internationalization)
fixed before friday.

Some crazy ideas for the future:
 * get (some) hosts in the buildfarm to generate the docs. We have
already encountered problems with inconsistencies between various
versions of
    libxslt, xsltproc or db2latex
 * generate param/loadparm.c from the information in the docs (or at
least use it to check whether the data in param/loadparm.c and the data
in the docs
       is consistent)

Cheers,

    Jelmer