Mind if I read your code?

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri Jan 2 16:55:46 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 03:07:41PM -0800, Juan Lang wrote:

> > There are a lot of very simple things Wine and samba
> > need to work on -
> > like ensuring that name mangling, or the mapping of
> > windows attributes
> > onto DOS extended attributes is consistant.

> Very true.  Alexandre and some of the other Wine folks
> have expressed the opinion that we shouldn't be doing
> SMB for files anyway--the kernel should be doing it
> all, so we can treat remote files the same as local
> ones, and Linux programs and Windows ones will see
> consistent behavior, all without straying from a GPL
> license.

The Linux kernel today is not even remotely capable of providing the
necessary level of passthrough credentials support needed to sanely
implement the desired SMB semantics on a multiuser system.  You want to
prevent users from arbitrarily modifying the globally-visible VFS, and
you want to prevent *other* users from accessing remote shares using
someone else's per-user credentials.  This all fits best as a userspace
VFS layer.  Whether in Wine or in a library layer used by Wine doesn't
matter much to me, but the kernel is just not a good choice here.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer