Mind if I read your code?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jan 1 23:41:45 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 03:07:41PM -0800, Juan Lang wrote:
> --- Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> > I've noticed some of that growing there, and I've
> > been wondering if it
> > might be less painful to simply link in
> > libsmbclient, under some
> > pluign mechanism.  That is, if users want to use the
> > GPLed
> > functionlity, they can simply load the plugin.  (And
> > be subsequenctly
> > restricted by the GPL, but that doesn't harm users
> > that much).
>
> Hm, that's an avenue I hadn't considered.  I
> appreciate creative thinking in this area.
>
> Why I haven't gone further with libsmbclient, besides
> licensing:  its interface is simply too high-level.
> Using it would add very nice high-level attributes
> (reading and writing files files), but lots of the
> other code that's useful to the Wine project is
> hidden.  Named pipes, NetBT, mailslots, RPC and
> authentication all have public APIs in Windows, so
> eventually have to be implemented anyway.  By the time
> these are done adding file support doesn't seem like
> such a big deal.

Then what you really want is Samba4, and the client library that is
attached to it.

> > In any case, I find it silly that we use licences to
> > put up such large
> > barriers between us...
>
> Agreed, but as I was not involved in choosing
> licenses, I have to respect those that exist.
> Personally, I like the GPL, and think it's an
> appropriate license for Samba.  People are able to
> make money using an LGPL'd Wine, and more power to
> them IMO.  Ne'er the twain shall meet, unfortunately.
>
> One issue brought up here before, in a less politic
> way than I would have liked, is the port-grabbing one.
>  Do you folks see a way we might be able to run
> NetBIOS servers through some plug-in mechanism?

I'm not sure about NetBIOS servers - nobody really writes these today,
but I don' think you really need that.

> I have a personal itch to scratch--Wine _was_ able to
> open files before, but you had to know the UNC path
> and type it in.  I just want a network neighborhood
> browser.  I'm trying to do it The Right Way :)

we have libnss_wins, and even added WINS to winbind so IRIX can do
name resoluiton via our client code.  I don't like the idea of winbind
becoming an 'everyting' deamon, but I can imagine it handling browse
lists at least...

(And for things like browse lists, you do want some machanism that can
cache etc)

> > There are a lot of very simple things Wine and samba
> > need to work on -
> > like ensuring that name mangling, or the mapping of
> > windows attributes
> > onto DOS extended attributes is consistant.
>
> Very true.  Alexandre and some of the other Wine folks
> have expressed the opinion that we shouldn't be doing
> SMB for files anyway--the kernel should be doing it
> all, so we can treat remote files the same as local
> ones, and Linux programs and Windows ones will see
> consistent behavior, all without straying from a GPL
> license.

Going via POSIX is suboptimal, you do get much better semantics going
direct to CIFS.  It would be good if we could work out some way that
could happen.