Mind if I read your code?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jan 1 22:24:34 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 01:15:03PM -0800, Juan Lang wrote:
> Hi folks, I'm working on some (LGPL-licensed and
> BSD-licensed) SMB code for Wine.

I've noticed some of that growing there, and I've been wondering if it
might be less painful to simply link in libsmbclient, under some
pluign mechanism.  That is, if users want to use the GPLed
functionlity, they can simply load the plugin.  (And be subsequenctly
restricted by the GPL, but that doesn't harm users that much).

(and no, I don't meant to start a GPL flamewar)

In any case, I find it silly that we use licences to put up such large
barriers between us...

There are a lot of very simple things Wine and samba need to work on -
like ensuring that name mangling, or the mapping of windows attributes
onto DOS extended attributes is consistant.

Anyway, I've been recently pushing the NTLMSSP work available via
ntlm_auth - you might want to look a the services it provides for some
of the other areas you may trip across in your travels.