Samba and AIX slightly OT.

William Jojo jojowil at hvcc.edu
Tue Feb 24 20:30:57 GMT 2004

Bottom line is I have 6 filesystems in 5 volume groups that experience JFS
meta-corruption when using the 64-bit kernel within 8-11 days after a fsck
repair and reboot. The 32-bit kernel NEVER exhibits this problem after
months of testing.

I have a large 6H1 running AIX 5.2 with the 64-bit kernel. I'm battling
with Software Support Line at IBM (4th PMR now...always a hardware
problem...) and of course once I mention Samba, I might as well face
eastward on a full-moon at midnight for all the good my talking will do.

We run a heavily loaded AIX box with anywhere from 800-1000 smbds on it.
The system can handle the load, but of course when IBM sees the snap and
the number of smbds running, they immediately want to push it over to me,
which I can handle, but ultimately Samba is calling IBM provided APIs for
filesystems managment.

Has anyone seen anything like this before when working with AIX 5.2 and/or
Samba 2.2.8a (I know 3.0.2a is out, I can't migrate this machine just yet)

And could it have anything to do with the _LINUX_SOURCE_COMPAT talk I saw
between Andrew B. and another list poster? I'm going to try recompiling
tonight anyway without this option.

There is nothing out of the ordinary in the error logs.

Regards,

Bill