converting local path to unc path

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Feb 19 16:54:19 GMT 2004

Does MacOSX make use of UNC paths?  I thought they were using the SMB URI
format.

In any case, I don't understand why you would want to use a Samba call
(licensing issues aside).  If you know the server service and share names
and the directory path, then you can just compose the UNC (or SMB URI)
name from those parts.

I would guess (wildly) that what you're really looking for is some sort of
test to determine whether a local file path is really "local" or not--and,
if it's not, to extract the server and share information if it's an SMB
path.  Am I close?

Chris -)-----

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 03:55:23PM +0100, Kristof Van Landschoot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could anyone help me with this issue: I am trying to convert a local file pat$
h to an UNC path, on a Mac.  I can't seem to find a Macintosh system call to do this, so I thought there might be a samba call, as samba is the one serving the file in the end.  Of course, if there is such a call, I don't really know if I could access it if it is not available in any library.  Both technically and legally.  So any ideas on that would be useful as well ;-)

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org