Bad performance with samba3

Olaf Frączyk olaf at cbk.poznan.pl
Wed Feb 18 16:18:00 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 17:31, Fabien Chevalier wrote:
> Le Mardi 17 Février 2004 16:12, Olaf Frączyk a écrit :
> > On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 15:46, Raphael Berghmans wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >

> > > Since our files server has been migrated from NT4 to Samba
> > > 3, several users complains that the time to open a Word or
> > > xls file is very long (about 30 seconds).
> > >
> > > Which could be the reasons of this bad performance ?
> > >
> > > Which parameters have to be modified ?
> >
> > Check if it is not oplock problem.
> > If you it is, then turn oplock off in smb.conf.
>
> I'm a newbie to Samba and i'd like to learn.. :-)
>
> Could you explain why it could be related with oplocks?
I had some problems in the past with oplocks and this behaviour was seen
on Windows machines. In samba logs I saw something like (don't remember
exactly) "waiting for oplock to break".
The easiest way to produce this was to open many (eg. 20) .xls files at
the same time. (Ctrl-A on all files in directory and Open).
And the default time for oplock break is 30 seconds.
This was with 2.2.x samba. Since then I have oplocks off. Haven't tried
to switch them on on 3.0.x.

Regards,

Olaf