Using perl for autogenerating Makefile

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Feb 17 07:15:13 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 16:20, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Hi tridge,
>
> would it be ok if I use perl to autogenerate our Makefile
> in samba4 it's much easier to build a dependence tree of the subsystems
> and read in the config.mk files.
>
> I think this should be no problem, because we already depend on perl for
> make proto...

The problem is, we intend to ship Samba4 at some stage, and it will need
to install on mostly the same systems that Samba3 currently installs
on.  That means that we should be able to complete a ./configure && make
&& make install, with the same packages.

I don't care what is required to generate the configure - end users
don't need to do that, only developers.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net