Question about how to compare NFS and CIFS

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at Sun.COM
Mon Feb 9 14:43:58 GMT 2004

1) Features
      i) per-user versus per-machine authentication.
	Samba does the former, as doies pc-nfs, regular nfs
	does the latter.
     ii) AD support - samba natively, NFS with external tools only
    iii) etc, etc
Performance
      Hard to quantify: On Linux, SMB performance improved
	substantially with the new kernel.
      Best done by benchmarking: I've used dbench to stress
	nfs servers in the past, and that tools uses the
	same loads and smbtorture, so you can do **oredr of
	magnitude** compariusons. Just don't expect 10% differences
	to be significant (;-))