CVS update: samba/source

Guenther Deschner gd at suse.de
Tue Feb 3 14:58:02 GMT 2004

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 08:46:25AM -0500, Jim McDonough wrote:
> > Fix for a bug where the mutex could be left locked. Also remove the
> > memory keytab code which has no effect. Driven by bug report from
> > "Rob J. Caskey" <rcaskey at uga.edu>.
> Whoa!  Does Heimdal now work without the in-memory keytab?  Or is there a
> keytab file we're creating now?  This was put in for Heimdal, because it
> didn't work without a keytab.

right. the in-memory-keytab was added (although a keytab-less krb5_rd_req
would have been the better choice - as noted by luke howard) to support
older variants of the heimdal-libs. although the memory-keytab has some
issues (like not supporting win2k3-kvnos) it brings solid support for
running samba3 within win2k-domains on heimdal-0.4x-plattforms.

in fact, all official heimdal-releases require a keytab to work with
samba3, only the heimdal-0.6-snapshots will work without a keytab.

this change will - most probably - break a couple of samba-installations
or force administrators to compile against a newer heimdal-snapshot.

bye,
guenther

btw: binary-distributions of samba3 (like the samba3-rpms from SerNet) use
a static heimdal-snapshot and thus do not need the keytab.

Guenther Deschner                          guenther.deschner at suse.de
SuSE Linux AG                                        GnuPG: 8EE11688
Berliner Str. 27                      phone:  +49 (0) 30 / 430944778
D-13507 Berlin                           fax:  +49 (0) 30 / 43732804