wxp SP2 host responds to "nmblookup HOST" but not "nmblookup *"

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Dec 28 23:14:12 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 14:33 -0800, David Wuertele wrote:

> I didn't realize the messenger service was handling this.  Or is it
> that some security logic is only turning on the "respond to wildcard"
> feature if it sees that the messenger service is running?
>
> Dave

I'm pretty sure that's what happened.  Remember, SP2 was a compromise
between better security (which would mean not listening at all) and not
breaking applications people used.  While we may all find it
frustrating, I'm sure winpopup is actually used in some organisations
even in it's (frustrating) broadcast mode.

I'm pretty sure that some of the worms out there probably used the
wildcard to aid in finding hosts to infect.  (Now they will just
individually scan, but what can you do...)

Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>