OpenLDAP + Automount question

John Gerth gerth-samba at graphics.stanford.edu
Tue Dec 21 17:52:05 GMT 2004

Prakash Velayutham wrote:

> That is an option. I was wondering if there is a way to make Samba
> interact with the autofs code to start autofs during a user login
> process. Any suggestions from Samba developers on this one?

  The whole point of 'autofs' is that you start the daemon and
  it only mounts the filesystem when needed, i.e. when the user
  logs in (and also unmounts it, if the filesystem is unused for
  a period of time).

  The interaction of Samba with autofs during a user login
  is automatically triggered by a Samaba reference to the user's
  home directory.

  While it's sitting around, autofs costs vitually nothing to run.

  I've been using this quite happily for many years.