[Samba] [proposal] Samba Software Foundation

Patrick Paul patpaul at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 17 21:51:45 GMT 2004

Having worked with the samba cvs code on and off for seven years now, I
think of myself as only a user, definitely not as a developer.

Throughout the years, I have found lkcl posts to be entertaining.  His
occasional rants and raves surely made the list more lively.  I mean,
among our crowd, we can say things like 'and then LKCL posted that', and
we'd know who we're talking about.

I mean, he's transgressed beyond single-name-only status, like Cher or
Bono, or even Prince.  He is now intials only.  I personally can't think
of anybody else in the open source community whose initials are the
equivalent of their name.

LT(Linus)?  Nope.  AC(Alan Cox)?  Maybe, but two initials is inferior to
four.  Plus AC is taken.

'AC?  Linux support for air conditioners?  Cool.'

'Yes, Linux has supported Alternating Current from the very beginning.
Direct Current support was added late, only in 2.0.21, much to the
delight of the FreeBSD community, which had support for Direct Current
years before Linux.  And their implementation is better.  And their
license.'

Humour aside, I remember working with samba back in '98, and was trying
to get an nt4 domain in place for nt4 workstations to join.  I found
problems with the samba 2.0 code at the time(actually, I think it was
1.9.x code, but it doesn't matter), and I found this version of samba
called samba-tng.  Had I known at the time that samba-tng has nothing to
do with samba proper, I would have saved a lot of time attempting to get
nt4 domain controller functionality up and running had I only used the
samba proper code.

As a member of the list, but not a member of the samba group, I agree
that posts asking for the restructure of samba are out of line.  Since
I've followed samba, lkcl has had an air of 'renegade-ness' associated
with himself.  Steps should be taken to ensure that confusion about the
status and direction of samba does not spread, as it did with me during
those fruitless weeks, long, long ago.

Out of consideration, though, I think it would be best to cease
discussion of this matter on the list.  lkcl has agreed to respect the
three month cease-fire, and it wouldn't be fully respectful to talk
about somebody when their ability to reply has been removed.

Thanks for the work team.  It truly is a great product; one that is
getting better all the time.

P.S.
I get the list in batch mode, so if the topic has already been
tombstoned, I have not received it yet, and forgive the resurrection.

--
Patrick Paul
Systems Administrator
patpaul at mit.edu