LARGE_WRITE_X smbclient, cifs and smbd

Steve French smfrench at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 17 16:46:28 GMT 2004

I pulled Samba 3 svn earlier this morning and still am only getting a
maximum SMB write size of 64K or less.    smbclient built from the same
current samba 3 source will also max sending writes of 64K (same with
reads).  I thought that smbclient had just been modified to allow up to
128K.

When I tried a test fix to the cifs vfs (to send more than negotiated
buffer size - I was incorrectly maxing in CIFSSMBWrite in cifs vfs to
64K) I still couldn't get Samba to accept writes over 64K either

The cifs vfs without the recent client change (which I have not checked
into the cifs vfs tree yet) will send 64K on write which the server will
accept (similar to smbclient), but even fixing the cifs vfs to send more
than 64K - the server still responds with only 64K written.

Are there smbd and smbclient fixes to enable large write that are not in
current Samba 3 svn?

The only smb.conf parm I changed was setting
    max xmit = 130000
in smb.conf.   Do I need to make more changes.   I did not see a way to
set maxRw (raw read/write size, which would have made sense to change)
since that is hardcoded in samba 3 in negprot reply code in smbd.