username rewriting option for authentication

Marc Lanctot marc.lanctot at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Dec 15 14:33:34 GMT 2004

Hi,

I would liek to add some functionality to samba, but would first like to
ask the developers if this would be a desired feature-- and if so, how
to go about it.

A few days ago I wrote to the samba list asking if there was a generic
way of rewriting usernames a la apache's rewrite engine: a user requests
username1 which gets mapped to username2 (by samba) and then
authenticates using username2.

I need this functionality because we are using winbind to authenticate
Linux machines over an Active Directory server, and we wish to use our
bindDN's as opposed to our sAMAccountNames.

I'd like to add this functionality to samba/winbind. The proposed method
for doing this would be like so:

- add an "username rewrite = file" option to smb.conf

where file is a list of rewrite rules of the form:

    "requested_username = auth_username"

and (if the file exists) all requested usernames would first get
rewritten before they are used to authenticate.

Thanks,
Marc

--
"The only really good place to buy lumber is at a store where the lumber
has already been cut and attached together in the form of furniture,