Samba forcing decreasing permissions (owner -> group): bug or feature?

Rodrigo Severo rodrigo.lists at fabricadeideias.com
Tue Dec 14 17:17:24 GMT 2004

Hi,

If I have a file:

-r--rw----  1 uuu ggg 1 Dec  9 12:53 fff

If a member of group ggg tries to edit file fff through a Samba share he
will get read only access. Linux gives write access. FreeBSD also.

If I give write permission  to user uuu, members of group ggg start to
have write permission even through a Samba share.

As far as I can tell, Samba uses the owner permissions as a kind of mask
for group permissions.

If this a bug or a feature?

Rodrigo Severo

Rodrigo Severo
Fábrica de Idéias
SBS -Ed. Empire Center Sala 1301 - Cobertura
Fone: (61) 321 1357
Fax: (61) 223 1712
Brasília/DF

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery
of something we do not understand.
                                  -- Frank Herbert