outsourcing DCE/RPC to alternate programs - runtime config option

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Sun Dec 12 00:19:39 GMT 2004

Luke,

 >  tridge - please excuse me for mentioning this but after
 >  _everything_ you said that i wasn't "allowed" to do because
 >  of various detailed technical descriptions,

Your memory of past events gets more and more twisted every year. As I
explained in great detail to you at the time, the problem with your
proposal was not the fact that it added a new transport, but the
_method_ you proposed for implementing it. Do you even remember your
design any more? It involved nasty static variable hacks, making the
code essentially untestable as a function could not be relied upon to
perform the same way twice.

 > NOW you add in a ncalrpc transport into samba 4 and because it's
 > you adding it, it's suddenly acceptable??
 >
 >  ... did i miss something?

yes, you missed the fact that it wasn't me who added it. It was
Jelmer. He proposed a clean interface, he thought through all the
design issues, and he showed good prototype code and he then asked if
he could add it. I reviewed his proposal in the same way I reviewed
your proposals and this time I was convinced it was a good design. I
did initially reject some aspects of it, but Jelmer addressed my
concerns. Jelmers implemention is excellent.

It is my job as project leader to decide if a proposal is good or
not. You rarely put the effort in to do a good, well thought out
design, so as a result a lot of your proposals were not accepted. The
times when you did put in the effort (and there were quite a few of
those) your code was accepted.

It was not personal, or at least it wasn't personal until you started
your public rampage of indignation that you have now persisted in for
years.

I reject more proposals than I accept from _everyone_, not just you. I
reject proposals from Jeremy, from Jelmer, from Metze and anyone else
who has ever submitted code to the team. I even reject code from
myself when I write quick solutions for my employer and it doesn't
meet the standards I set for the project. The difference is that those
people then look at my criticisms and come back with a new proposal
that solves the problems, or convince me that I am wrong.

The standards for the project are also constantly being raised. Code
that would have been acceptable last year might not be accepted this
year. This has to happen as Samba started as a pretty badly designed
system (which was my fault), and we don't want it to stay that way.

Cheers, Tridge