File corruption when compiling with Visual Studio 6.0 over Samba

david.j as davidj.as at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 02:01:00 GMT 2004

I am running Samba 3.0.9 on RHEL 3.0u3 and I am getting corrupted
files  ( according to the error message in VC98) that seems to only be
happening over Samba with VS 6.0/XP SP2 at the
command prompt.  This is reproducible in Samba 3.0.8, 3.0.2-6.3E and
I've been told
2.2.X.

Here is the compiler error that I see in Windows XP SP2:

L:\eng\src\sv\dll>cl.exe /nologo /MT /W2 /GX /O2 /D "WIN32" /D
"_WINDOWS" /YX /c svapi.c
svapi.c
svapi.c(0) : fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR
       (compiler file 'msc1.cpp', line 1794)
        Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
        Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information

When I change the environment by mounting the share via another
Windows XP machine it compiles fine.  Also when compiling from the
local disk everything is fine.

This happens only in a build script where multiple files are compiled.
If I manually change into the directory and run the above command it
_sometimes_ works, but never works when I place the command in a batch
.bat script.

Here is my smb.conf file:

# Global parameters
[global]
       workgroup = NDGENG
       server string = Samba Server
       printcap name = /etc/printcap
       preferred master = No
       local master = No
       Max log size = 99999999999999999999
       domain master = No
       dns proxy = No
       cups options = raw
       debug hires timestamp = yes
       debug timestamp = yes
;        debuglevel = 3

[homes]
       comment = Home Directories
       read only = No
       browseable = No

[rel]
       comment = Copy of b2:/u/rel
       path = /u/rel
       read only = No

Additionally included is the smbd.log file generated with debug = 10
and timing turned on.

The network environment is a VMware WinXP SP2 image running on
the RHEL 3.0 server.

Any help would be much appreciated.  I can send more detailed logs if
you need it. (TCPDUMP)

Also, I've found that others have had this similar issue but with no
success, perhaps they asked the wrong people (microsoft)
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc/browse_thread/thread/bba556c88c580c15?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
In that thread a MS employee responds that perhaps the problem is
within the network; "It is very unlikely we would patch
this problem, but if we did it would likely yield an error regarding network
conditions rather than compile successfully."

Thanks,
James