better network filesystems

Steve French smfrench at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 7 03:22:46 GMT 2004

We need better network filesystems - so says newsforge ... ?!
    http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/11/29/1528259&from=rss
There is a grain of truth in his argument of course, and there are lots
of holes, and in some ways we have not reached what AIX and other Unix
had with AFS & DFS, even with Samba4 out and a somewhat improved Linux
cifs client (perhaps by 2.6.12) but it would not be -- that -- hard to
fix cifs/Samba or nfsv4 client/server with modest standards and protocol
enhancements to achieve their goals, and there are a lot of advantages
of Samba over the AFS server :)

I wonder if many realize how many of these interesting fs features are
already possible in the smb/cifs protocols - now.