security and trusted extended attributes into the -mm kernel

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Mon Dec 6 23:56:02 GMT 2004

> jfs adds security and trusted extended attributes into the -mm kernel

I see the corresponding patch
(http://jfs.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.5/gnupatch@41ae4315obsBp8r9Y0EzmG870QJhFA)
on bitkeeper.
Do you have some additional context explaining this and what they are for
beyond the minimal info in man 5 attr?

It sounds like something I need to do add to the cifs client too (and
probably something smbd needs to be aware of) but ... the "security." and
"trusted." namespace certainly would have different security
considerations than the user. category which is the only one which I map
to OS/2 EAs on the wire for Samba.   I don't really want to overuse the EA
call for other namespace if it opens a security issue (namespace prefix
"os2." and "user." are stripped off by the client and sent to the Samba
server as EAs).   This is tricky because the ACL model which Samba knows
about has a concept of who is granted permission in ACEs for modifying EAs
and modifying the ACL but not sure how authorization for these two would
be handled from the point of view of the server side ACL

Perhaps the best approach is to make another minor CIFS POSIX extension (a
one-off of current set extended attributes) to handle these two namespaces
- at least based on my read of man attr(5) and the security implications
of these two.

Opinions?

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot co>