dynamic context transitions

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Dec 1 23:13:27 GMT 2004

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 09:54:28PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 05:26:55PM +0100, Simo Sorce wrote:
:
:
> > In samba4 we have process, single AND thread model and a operations are
> > async so this will not be a problem anymore.
>
> fantastic
>
> > Btw, from tests seem that in threaded model performance suck anyway :)
>
>  i like that - threads are supposed to be All The Rage.
>
>  ... what do you think is going wrong?

I've been asking about this in different places.  I've heard theories,
mostly.  This is happening in Linux (dunno if it's been tested elsewhere)
and one theory is that the forked process speeds are good because Linux
basically does a really good job with those.  Meanwhile, thread speed is
bad because the multiple threads are all within a single process and the
single process gets only it's own share of processor time.

I don't know much about thread handling on Linux, but I would also imagine
that there is a bit of an impact on all threads when one thread makes a
system call.

Again, all supposition and I really don't know enough about thread
handling on Linux to comment further.  Just passing along information (or,
perhaps, hear-say).

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org