A small bootstrap request

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Wed Dec 1 15:16:28 GMT 2004

  Thompson and Ritchie, speaking at an early Unix conference, once
said "we are the occasional users". They'd forgotten some of the
subtleties of code they'd done themselves, and had been left
puzzled at the results.

  I'm an occasional user, too, and every few years build a new
Samba from scratch. Just about every time I forget the autoconf
step or find a bug, such as one in autoconf the last time.

  In order to "minimize the unexpected" when building new
Sambas, I wonder if you'd be so kind as to add the following
minimal makefile to the svn distributions, so that the system
will try to bootstrap itself if one types "make".

#
# Bootstrap makefile -- run autogen and configure
#	to create a real Makefile.
#
all: # /usr/local/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/m4
	./autogen.sh
	./configure

 The commented-out dependencies are optional: they help
document the needs of autoheader, but are not part of
Samba proper.

--dave