[OpenAFS-devel] IBM public license code (from OpenAFS) in samba/examples/nss ok?

Thu Aug 26 18:58:45 GMT 2004

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 02:04:57PM -0400, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> The files he wants to include from OpenAFS constitute an interface
> description -- they are used to generate the client and server RPC stubs
> and associated headers, and to describe the interface that both sides must
> speak.

It's even better. Not only reading, but also thinking helps... :-)

Because AFS and Samba headers don't like each other, I had to make sure to not
to include any samba stuff and not link against Samba .o files. The only thing
I use is the nss_winbind.c library that tridge started explicitly for other
and non-GPL products. It contains the following license header:

/*
   nss sample code for extended winbindd functionality

   Copyright (C) Andrew Tridgell (tridge at samba.org)

   you are free to use this code in any way you see fit, including
   without restriction, using this code in your own products. You do
   not need to give any attribution.
*/

The only problem is the mere check-into-samba problem which I would only need
for convenience. No user of this stuff has any problem.

Volker