[OpenAFS-devel] IBM public license code (from OpenAFS) in samba/examples/nss ok?

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Thu Aug 26 16:18:31 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 18:12, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 06:06:14PM +0200, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > You can also just run the clean room approach even yourself or made by 2
> > people A & B.
> > If you do your self just let at least 2-3 weeks pass before point B.
>
> Hmm. Do I need a lawyer sit next to me to prove I haven't looked at the
> original spec during B)? Is there any other way to prove that?

I don't think that even having a lawyer does matter.
This technique has been developed to make yo avoid reusing others
copyrighted code _by mistake_. It's just for you. Of course it may have
some weight in court showing that this is the procedure you used to
demonstrate your bona fide, and that in fact was used in some BIOS
reverse engineering case.

In the end, you need to write your own code and the openafs code is open
to anyone to be read so as long as your code is not a copy of the
openafs code with just some renaming I think nobody should have anything
to complain.

Simo.

Simo Sorce    -  idra at samba.org
Samba Team    -  http://www.samba.org