[OpenAFS-devel] IBM public license code (from OpenAFS) in samba/examples/nss ok?

Thu Aug 26 15:53:17 GMT 2004

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 11:46:54AM -0400, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> For a couple of years now I've been maintaining a registry of AFS protocol
> constants, including RPC opcode numbers (http://grand.central.org/numbers);
> a side goal is to eventually completely document the various AFS protocols.
> To that end, it has always been my intent to provide .xg files and opcode
> headers which can be freely used by any AFS implementation.

How do you make sure that this information is not tainted by any license?

Completely reverse-engineer the way the Samba developers do? This is probably
not possible for anybody ever having looked at OpenAFS code and who has gained
knowledge of the inner workings. Probably someone without any prior knowledge
has to look at (encrypted) network traces and try to work out the inner
workings of the protocol, the way Samba has been developed over the years.

Volker