Resier4 and streams

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Tue Aug 24 09:18:37 GMT 2004

Seem we may have soon a way to test streams and possibly fast:

"
In Reiser4 (but not ReiserFS 3) an object can be both a file and a
directory at the same time. If you access it as a file, you obtain the
named sequence of bytes. If you use it as a directory you can obtain
files within it, directory listings, etc. There was a lengthy discussion
on the Linux Kernel Mailing List about whether this was technically
feasible to do. I won't reproduce it here except to summarize that Linus
showed that this was feasible without "breaking" VFS.

Allowing an object to be both a file and a directory is one of the
features necessary to to compose the functionality present in streams
and attributes using files and directories."

Taken from: http://namesys.com/

Jeremy, Tridge, what do you think? :)

Simo.

Simo Sorce    -  idra at samba.org