consistent flah in winbindd.h

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Mon Aug 23 23:28:04 GMT 2004

Jerry,

 > What's the purpose of the consistent flag in the winbindd_methods
 > {} struct ?  It's never set kfrom what I can tell but is referenced
 > in winbindd_cache.c (line 751).

The original purpose was to flag if the backend always got the
"primary" group right for a user. When we did the RPC backend there
was no efficient way to return the primary gid correctly when doing a
user enumeration - the only way to do it was to make a separate RPC
call per user, which was horrendously slow. The ADS backend could
return the primary gid correctly in every case as it could construct
an appropriate LDAP query.

This originally affected the cache code - making sure it didn't cache
incorrect data, so when a getpwuid() or similar call asked for
specific info on a user it returned the right data.

Cheers, Tridge