embedded system smbclient <--> japanese windows share?

David Wuertele dave-gnus at bfnet.com
Mon Aug 23 22:54:00 GMT 2004

I have an embedded system that uses smbmount to mount windows shares
it finds on the LAN.  This is working great exept for when the windows
shares have Japanese filenames (SJIS) in them.

My applications already use UTF-8 for all internal string encoding and
to display Japanese text.  What do I have to do to make these apps
able to read the SJIS filenames on my smbmount-ed Japanese shares?

Also, I use busybox for just about all my system commands.  When I
telnet into my embedded system, cd into a smbmount-ed share that has
files with Japanese names, and type "ls", I get gibberish.  Is the
solution to this in changing busybox, or in changing the way I mount
the shares?

Thanks,
Dave