Samba3 backend for pidl?

Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE
Mon Aug 16 10:41:45 GMT 2004

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 08:27:46PM +1000, Tim Potter wrote:
> Is this the "much simpler (and smaller, faster etc) way of doing
> relative pointers in pidl" change in r1757?  I'm surprised that this

Yes.

> caused you to do most of the work again.  It's always easier the second
> (and third) time anyway.  (-:

Ok, 'most of the work' was a bit exaggerated. Much of the fiddly stuff is
finding out which header files have changed in what ways, and what you have to
transfer across. Some of the ndr_basic.c needs adaption, for example the NTTIME
type is different. So it's not a matter of simply copying ndr_basic.c over, we
would really have to apply patches and see where the things break. It is just
hairy. And it is an explicit goal to do it "right" in Samba 4, not having to
take care of any legacy code constraints whatsoever. So I do expect this kind
of changes quite frequently.

Volker