NTCreateAndX Response with wrong WordCount.

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Sun Aug 1 03:45:46 GMT 2004

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 21:06:10 -0500
"Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:

> Is it common to see an NTCreateAndX Response with an incorrect WordCount?
>
> I'm seeing a WordCount of 42 (that's 84 bytes).  The SNIA doc says it
> should be 26 (unless EAs or SDs are included...but I'm not seeing those).
>
> The data beyond the normal 52 byte mark *looks* like garbage--some of it
> left over from the request message.
>
> So, just wondering...

Yeah, that is odd. I never really took notice before. Maybe because I
depend so much on Ethereal which doesn't decode it. I see W2K and XP
have a WordCount of 42 whereas NT is 34. Indeed that extra 16 bytes is
the beginning of the filename in Unicode from the 6th index to the end. I
suppose that could be from the request. The offset's are even very close
(only off by 2 bytes). That means they reuse the same buffer.

Mike

--
Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.