Heads Up On MS04-011

Vincent Valdez vincentv at microsoft.com
Fri Apr 30 12:36:36 GMT 2004

Hello. My name is Vincent Valdez. I am an escalation engineer for
Microsoft. Some of our customers are also Samba users, so I just wanted
to give you a heads up on an issue that we are seeing with MS04-011.  I
hope this is isn't a duplicate, as I don't subscribe to this mailing
list.  I did try to reproduce this problem with Samba, but could not.
However, I have seen this with two other major CIFS implementations.  My
overall goal is to discourage users from uninstalling MS04-011, by
understanding the problem, the status, the workaround and how to get
more information.

Problem:
Cannot connect to Non-Microsoft SMB CIFS servers from Microsoft clients
after installing the critical update MS04-011.  The session setup will
fail.

C->S : SMB: C session setup & X
S->C : SMB: R session setup & X - NT error, System, Error, Code = (22)
STATUS_MORE_PROCESSING_REQUIRED
C->S : SMB: C logoff & X

Event:
You will see this on the clients when trying to connect:

Event Type:        Warning
Event Source:        MRxSmb
Event Category:        None
Event ID:        3034