read caching across close

Henrik Nordstrom hno at squid-cache.org
Wed Apr 28 22:54:00 GMT 2004

On 28 Apr 2004, Steve French wrote:

> There are multiple options:
> 1) Lazy close file (close the file at unmount time, or on a timer or
> when oplock is broken)

This would probably perform a bit better due to the cached file handles
avoiding repeated close/reopen of the same file.

> 5) Do a QueryFileInfo of the server's view of last write time, after
> flush of any dirty data is complete but before the formerly dirty
> oplocked file is closed (before we lose our oplock)

This is what I would do.. I am not very fond of clients messing around
with timestamps on the server in normal operations.. but be warned that I
am not a Samba person or even use Samba or Windows filesharing, only
authentication / winbind, so don't take my word to seriously in these
matters.

Regards
Henrik