Sorting list of DC addresses by closest first

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Wed Apr 21 02:53:42 GMT 2004

Hi,

We are having a problem with our internal infrastructure and our attempts
to move to using Samba on our NAS to host internal CIFS usage.

We have offices in TX, PA, and CA, with DCs in each of those offices. The
PDC is in TX.

When we first tried to cut over to using Samba member servers, all
authentication traffic was going to TX, even in that from PA and CA.

It seems to me that when get_dc_list is called, the list should be sorted
with those addresses that are in the same subnets as the member server
first on the list (perhaps permuted each time if there is more than one)
and the remaining addresses next on the list, perhaps again permuted as
they are used.

Has anyone thought of the need for this behavior?

Regards
-----