svn commit: samba r264 - in branches/tmp/VOYAGER/source: groupdb include libsmb nsswitch passdb smbd

Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE
Mon Apr 19 14:34:29 GMT 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 09:46:06AM +0200, Simo Sorce wrote:
> The problem is that there's people that may be running winbindd only, no
> smbd.

That's the only really valid point here, I think. Maybe I will fork a smbd off
winbindd...

> Plus adding a new comunication layer may lead to other bugs. Linking
> directly to the code instead keeps it unique and simple.

None of this communication layers is new, except for a different address family
and connect() syscall. We do have winbind_rpc.c and srv_samr_nt.c already. If
these break, we have other problems to take care of.

Having smbd listen on unix domain might also open the door for easier local
administration. Connecting on a protected unix-domain socket might
automatically assume root privilege as you are root anyway. This means you can
use 'net' without always typing in your password.

Just an idea...

Volker