a proposal for Samba 3.5

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Fri Apr 16 17:55:35 GMT 2004

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Jean-Baptiste Marchand wrote:
>
> > Just to say that rpcclient is a very useful tool, at least for
> > penetration testers and systems administrators in Windows environment...
>
> As already expressed in this thread: The useful RPC functions at least to
> systems administrators belongs in the net command, with a proper
> implementation.

Yes. Unfortunately, Jean-Baptiste conflated two groups of users. I agree
that functions useful to sys admins belongs in the net command.

> > But I suppose it is hard to speak about porting rpcclient to Samba4
> > without volunteering to do the work...
>
> I would suggest you to go over the list of commands in rpcclient and
> determine which you see useable and which do not yet have a counterpart in
> the net command (or other Samba commands). Then propose this list of
> commands to the samba-technical list, preferably with a bit of motivation
> to each command.  It is not very meaningful to discuss the rpcclient tool
> as such but it is meaningful to discuss the useful functions it does
> provide and how these functions is best provided by Samba.

I don't think that those functions that are useful to penetration testers
belong in the net command at all. These things belong in rpctorture or
should be part of a toolkit that allow penetration testers to test the
corner cases and extremes of individual RPC interfaces.

Regards
-----