ACL issues, Plus, MacOS X stuff

Matt Benjamin matt at linuxbox.nu
Thu Apr 15 15:02:06 GMT 2004

I've seen what I take to be Jan's problem using Excel for MacOS X.

It did not occur to me that it was Office specific.  In that case, we
attempted to use POSIX default ACLs to guarantee access by specific
individuals--when documents were saved, the mask fields were reset,
truncating effective rights.

In this case, I was uncertain whether it was permissible to use POSIX
ACLs directly, but it seems there should be some use cases where this
would be legitimate.

While I'm at it :)

We also saw two other oddities that I have assumed are known properties
of the CIFS client in MacOS X 10.3:

1. When we opened documents on a Samba3 share with any application, then
closed the application entirely, smbstatus reported locks held on those
files.  Locks were not released until the share was disconnected.  I'm
inclined to blame the MacOS X CIFS client for this?

2. Apple CIFS client developer(s):  MacOS X users found it annoying that
the last update time of a file as seen in the finder with resource forks
(eg, Photoshop file) may not be updated when changes are made to its
resource forks.  I've seen this reported before, on this list, IIRC.

Matt

--

Matt Benjamin

The Linux Box