Kerberos and Samba

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.sulinet.hu
Tue Apr 13 08:03:39 GMT 2004

|>___________		_____________		 _____________
|>|	  |		|	    |		 |	     |
|>| Windows |--Kerberos-->|   Samba   |----------->|    AFS    |
|>| client  |	auth	|   server  |		 |    cel    |
|>|_________|		|___________|		 |___________|
|>~     ^
|>~     |
|>~     |
|>~     |
|>~     |
|>~     |
|>_____Ç______
|>|	   |
|>|    AD	   |
|>|  server  |
|>|__________|

| No.  This is the ideal world that would not require a cludge as large
| as --fake-kaserver.  (In thoery, a proxied/impersonation ticket would
work)

|>But what I was thinking about would be:
|>
|>___________		_____________		 _____________
|>|	  |		|	    |		 |   Coda    |
|>| Windows |----NTLM---->|   Samba   |----------->|    or     |
|>| client  |	auth	|    PDC    |		 |    AFS    |
|>|_________|		|_LDAP back_|		 |____cel____|
|>			      ^
|>			      |
|>			      | getting ticket
|>			      | for
|>			      | Kerberos unaware clients
|>			______Ç______
|>			|	    |
|>			|  Heimdal  |
|>			|  current  |
|>			|_LDAP back_|

| This is what the fake-kaserver does, except that it does not need to
| access the user's passwords, it only needs to access the AFS server's
| password (and can spoof tickets from there).
|
| Ask volker for the fine details.
|
| Andrew Bartlett

Ok then my question would be:
with fake-kaserver can I get a kerberos ticket (not just AFS token), for
the runing smbd process (smbd would kinit using the connected users
NTPassword).
My goal is to experiment with a Samba+Coda setup, which could serve
Windows+UNIX hosts (maybe some Coda LDAP integration, common userspace,
maybe some kind of nested groups (Coda already uses them))

Thanks

Geza