No of Connections Limit?

Jim Morris Jim at Morris-World.com
Mon Apr 5 13:55:31 GMT 2004

On Apr 1, 2004, at 6:51 AM, Pan wrote:

> We have setup the samba server (ver. 2.2.3a) on an HP-UX 11i server.
> However, we found that we can't have more than 16 windows xp pro nodes
> connecting to a shared folder at the same time.  Does any one know if
> it is
> a limitation or if there is any setting I could tune?  Cheers

You can limit the number of connected clients on a share using the "max
connections" directive in smb.conf.  This is done on a per share basis
typically, and if set to 0 (the default), unlimited connections are
allowed.

Unless you have added this directive to your smb.conf file, you should
not have a limit on user connections.  Another option to check is the
"max smbd processes" option, a Global setting in smb.conf.  That, if
present, can limit the number of smbd processes allowed to run - and
there is normally one process per connected client, plus the master
copy of smbd if running in daemon mode.
  --
Jim Morris    (Jim at Morris-World.com)