a proposal for Samba 3.5

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sun Apr 4 11:59:20 GMT 2004

> a proposal for Samba 3.5
> Green, Paul Paul.Green at stratus.com
> Sat Apr 3 13:18:09 GMT 2004
>

> Andrew Bartlett [mailto:abartlet at samba.org] wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 04:54, Michael Sweet wrote:
>> > I would argue strongly against providing a scripted replacement,
>> > as few commercial platforms come with a recent version of Perl or
>> > any version of Python.  A C-based tool shouldn't be that much
>> > harder to write and would be as portable as Samba itself.
>>
>> Is it really that hard to install python or
>> perl, for a developer?
>
> It all depends on the underlying OS.

That'a not the question.

The point is: do you *want* to install it on your Samba *production*
servers? If yes, is it so easy for the Samba *admins*?

Read what the man page says about rpcclient:

     "Many system administrators have now written scripts around
      it to manage Windows NT clients from their UNIX workstation."

A replacement of rpcclient would break all these script when upgrading.
Samba. Therefor, it would also prevent a lot of upgrades happening....

Cheers,
Kurt